Admit it: you’d prefer if there was a “guide to men’s dressing” that appeared in the mail when you turned 18. Unfortunately, that’s not how it works. Dressing can be more of an art than a science. But there are some rules that you can master that will help you get a better handle on your wardrobe— such as what shoes to wear with which slacks. It may seem minor, but you may be surprised at how much mismatched shoes stand out. We hope these tips are helpful.
The Rules of Wearing Shoes
Before we start, let’s sort out what’s going on when we talk about which shoes are most appropriate with which slacks:
- The shoe should fit the occasion. If you’re attending a formal event like holiday religious services, then you should put your best foot forward—quite literally. This is the time to wear something that shows respect to the occasion.
- The shoe should fit the terrain. You wouldn’t wear your best shoes on a hunting trip, just as you wouldn’t bring your snow boots inside. Remember to exercise common sense when it comes to pairing your shoes with the world around you.
Shoes To Wear with Which Slacks
Still confused? Don’t worry. We’ve put together a list of different types of men’s outfits and which slacks and shoes will be most appropriate at each level:
- Casual: If you’re thinking T-shirt-and-jeans, then you won’t have to put too much thought int your choice. But you do have to remember not to wear shoes that would look out of place because they’re too formal. This is the time to go for basic comfort. If you’re wearing shorts or jeans, then you’ll want to make sure that your shoes are just as casual. Shoes to wear: Sneakers, sandals, boat shoes, moccasins.
- Smart-Casual: Now you’re stepping it up a notch. Rather than jeans, perhaps you’re wearing chinos like our Charleston Khakis in Stretch Twill. Sure, you can still keep it a casual outfit if you want, but generally, you’ll want to make sure that everything else you’re wearing matches. That means polo shirts and button downs, for example. Shoes to wear: Penny loafers, boat shoes, Chukka boots, Buckingham shoes.
- Dressed Up: If you’re a step below going with the full suit but still a step above your usual outfit game, we’ll call you “Dressed up.” You might be wearing a tie, but your jacket might not match your pants. There’s a little wiggle room here. As such, you’ll have plenty of options for your shoes. Shoes to wear: Cap toe shoes, Oxford wingtips, Bluchers.
- Formal: Now you’re dressing to impress. Pairing a clothing option like our Stretch Black & White Houndstooth Check Flat Front pants is great for suiting—but you’ll need the shoes to pair with it. Shoes to wear: Dress shoes of all types, including cap toe and wingtips.
Find A Great Pair Of Slacks
Once you have an idea of what shoes to wear, you’ll have much more confidence in your choice of clothes. Keep browsing the slacks here at Berle for more ways to look and dress your best.