For most men—even the fashion-inexperienced—dressing for their own wedding is a simple process. Go to a tailor, select a tuxedo, and call it a day. But what if you’re not in the wedding? What if you’re just a guest? You don’t want to dress up to outshine anyone, but you also don’t want to look like you just threw on the first thing you saw in your closet, either. So, how do you dress for a wedding while looking and feeling your best? We have a few ideas.
Basic Men’s Fashion Rules for Weddings
Let’s start with some rules of thumb. Take a look at the basics of dressing for a wedding:
- Wear a tie. Sure, you can look great without a tie. But keep in mind that attending a wedding means having your dinner and at least some of your drinks paid for. You’re also attending an event that’s likely going to feature a professional photographer. Wearing a suit with a tie gives the occasion the respect it deserves.
- Wear fitted clothes. Not just any suit will do. If you don’t wear clothes that fit you, you’ll still give off the impression that you didn’t work very hard to present the best possible appearance. And if you don’t want to visit a tailor, keep in mind that you can purchase tailored trousers here at Berle simply by entering your measurements.
- Wear dress shoes. We know that you want to have a blast on the dance floor. But wearing sneakers to a wedding suggests that you aren’t taking the occasion as seriously as you could.
This is a great first step into learning what’s appropriate for dressing for a wedding. But now it’s time to take a look at the specifics, such as how to pick a suit and what that suit should include.
What Your Suit Should Feature at a Wedding
Here’s the basic ensemble that men should wear to every wedding:
- A suit jacket / blazer
- A button-up dress shirt. (Button down shirts, which feature an extra button to keep the collar down, are optional, but they tend to provide a more casual look)
- Dress trousers. Pleated pants are often appropriate here, but feel free to choose flat front
- A belt
- Dress shoes
- A tie (Try to tie your tie so that it just hits the top of your belt line when standing).
- Optional: pocket square.
That’s your basic men’s suit. You can mix and match colors, but try to keep a few common fashion ideas in mind. For instance, you’ll want to match the color of your belt to the color of your shoes, as a suit often looks “off” if these two items clash.
You can also wear different colors for the jacket and trousers. For example, you can wear Stretch Tropical Wool in “tan” with a navy blazer up top, as these are two highly versatile colors that match neatly with just about anything else.
Purchase Perfectly Tailored Trousers from Berle
Getting the fitting right is key when learning how to dress for a wedding. If you select to purchase a pair of our tailored trousers here at Berle, you can input your own measurements to ensure they’ll provide you that fresh-tailored look that’s perfect for any wedding.