There may be no item that’s more essential for a man’s wardrobe than the blue blazer. This classic piece of clothing isn’t only great for dressing up, it’s versatile enough to be dressed down for a number of situations. But if you’re new to this staple, you might wonder: what exactly can you pair with it to pull off a stylish look? Here are some men’s blazer outfit ideas to get you started.
Tips for Putting Together Blazer Outfits
The ubiquitous blue blazer is one of the most versatile items you own, so don’t worry about color matching so much here. But you will still want to keep the following tips in mind as you pair together clothes with your blazer:
- Decide on a theme before you put together an outfit. For example, business casual. You generally wouldn’t want to wear a pair of sweat pants with a blue blazer because it sends completely mixed messages. However, a blue blazer with a button-down shirt and khaki pants? It’s hard to go wrong there. Stay on-message with a clear theme.
- Try different types of pants. You can wear denim, dress denim, khaki, and dress pants with your blazer. It all depends on what sort of event you’re attending. The blue blazer is a bit like a blank canvas. You can dress it up or down to suit the situation, as long as you understand what you’re trying to do.
With that in mind, here are some ideal combinations to wear.
Men’s Blazer Outfit Ideas
- Business casual: Pair your blazer with a crisp white button-down shirt and a fresh pair of Charleston Khakis in Fine Line Poplin. Khakis are a bit like the “blue blazer” of the trouser world—they’ll match with anything. It’s true that this is a safe, conservative look for most cases, but it’s important to establish a baseline as you develop your sense of style.
- Business: If you need a more formal look, it’s time to consider the blue blazer not as a “jacket” but as the centerpiece of a suit. That means you’ll be expected to don a tie, a button-up collar shirt (in which the collar itself does not have buttons), and a crisp pair of trousers. For example, these Super 100s Gabardine Trousers will turn even a blue blazer into something more resembling a suit.
- Casual: What happens when you truly want to dress down? You can don the “Silicon Valley” look of a T-shirt and jeans under the blue blazer. But you have other options here as well. Khaki pants are a great selection, and Dress Denim gives you something that’s a step above casual while feeling every bit as comfortable as the more casual options.
Find The Perfect Matching Trousers
When you don a blazer, it’s hard to go wrong. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try your best to pull off a great outfit. Make sure you pick the best accompaniments possible by shopping all the trouser options available here at Berle.