If you expect to find a formal codification for male teacher outfits, you’ll be looking for a long time. The truth is, there’s no official guide for how to dress as a male teacher, especially when it comes to dressing as stylishly and professionally as possible. However, we have a few tips that can help enhance your current style.
How Formal Should You Dress?
For male teachers, the first question isn’t always what to wear—it’s deciding whether to dress formally or casually. Just how formal should your outfit be, anyway? Let’s look at some basic rules of thumb to help:
- For bottom layers, remember that it’s easier to start “smart” and dress them down. For example, there’s only so much you can do to dress “up” a sweatshirt. However, if you start with a bottom layer of a button-down shirt, you can then dress it down with the layers you choose to put over Or, you can dress them up with a blazer. That means that you’ll want to start with smarter bottom layers to give yourself more flexibility.
- Wear something that’s comfortable for you. In addition to physical comfort, you should look for items that feel natural on you. For example, if you like the feel of a loose pair of pants, but you want to dress up, you might want to use khaki pants with pleating. A good example are these Charleston Khaki dress pants. These will give you the feel of less-formal pants while actually making your overall look more professional and workplace-appropriate.
- Dress up your shoes. Your shoes will form the foundation of the rest of the outfit. If you wear formal oxford shoes, for example, you’ll have the freedom to dress up the rest of the outfit. If you wear sneakers, your suit may look out of place. Think of the shoes you wear as another version of your “bottom layer.”
Matching Your Pants with Your Outfit
With the principles above in mind, you’ll be able to create versatile outfits that you can change at a moment’s notice. For example, you can dress up an outfit by adding a blazer, as long as you have the fundamental pieces in place.
But there’s another area you’ll need to focus on—your pants. We have two pant suggestions that you can wear to give you a stylish yet casual look:
- Washed Charleston Khakis. These khakis will help you step your style game up from the usual shirt-and-jeans combo, but still have a fun texture that allows you to keep your overall outfit loose and casual.
- Pleated Seersucker. Want a versatile pair of pants that will help you look professional yet remain comfortable when both sitting and standing? Pleated Seersucker is the ideal option.
Shop Tailored Trousers from Berle
We hope you consider using these stylish and professional male teacher outfit ideas. For more great ways to dress your best, browse all of the trouser collections here at Berle.