Finding clothing that fits well can be a struggle for plus-size and taller men. While there are modern options out there for big and tall men, you just have to know where to find them and how to work them. To help you stay looking your best, here are a few style tips and outfit ideas.
Choose the Right Fit
There are a few things you need to know before you put anything in your shopping cart. The number one thing is this: Do not settle for the wrong fit.
Whenever you dress as a big or tall guy, your clothes should never be baggy. Ditch anything too big or too tight. Tailor-fitted looks and clothing will serve you much better: Not too big, not too small, but just right. Remember, you want to achieve a sleek and streamlined look, and you can’t do that without ditching the baggy clothes.
To find clothes that keep you looking sharp, shop at dedicated big and tall stores or purchase your articles from retailers that offer tailoring. We know these stores can be difficult to find, so we’ll help with this later in the guide!
A Few More Tips
Aside from knowing how to choose the right fit, here are a few more tips to keep in mind before you start shopping:
- Neutral colors are your friend. By sticking to neutrals in your tops and bottoms, you’ll have a lot more variety when you’re creating outfits. Neutrals make it so easy to mix and match just about everything.
- Choose the right fabric. Look for smooth, sturdy, and durable natural fabrics like denim, cotton, oxford cloth, and twill. These fabrics are heavy enough to drape well on the body but also light to create a sleek silhouette.
- Add structure to your looks. Add structured jackets like blazers, bomber jackets, leather jackets, varsity jackets, and fitted cardigans to your outfits to help create a streamlined look.
Key Pieces for Big & Tall
When you start shopping, you need a plan. Here is a checklist that you can use to create an easy and stylish capsule wardrobe.
- Black leather sneakers
- White leather sneakers
- Brown penny loafers
- Black Oxford shoes
- Slate gray utility joggers
- Black utility joggers
- A variety of slim-fit chinos (One in navy)
- Dress pants in basic colors (Black, navy, dark gray, khaki)
- Tailor fitted shorts
- Dark wash slim fit denim
- Variety of plain T-shirts (Black, white, gray, navy, etc.)
- Black bomber jacket
- Charcoal gray hoodie
- Navy blazer
- Slim fit cardigan (Sandy beige is a great color)
- Oxford button-ups (White and light blue are classics)
Outfit Ideas & Where to Find Them
When it comes to khakis, shorts, and tailored dress pants, our team at Berle has you covered. Today, our company is run by the 4th generation family of the original founder, so we aren’t new to this game. But when it comes to the rest of your wardrobe needs, we’ve rounded up a few outfit ideas and places to shop, below.
Tailored Shorts and the Classic Button-Up
You can’t go wrong with this casual yet classy outfit: a button-up shirt with tailored shorts. Add white leather sneakers or brown penny loafers to complete this look. A wristwatch is optional, but always a sharp idea.
How to Style It
With this outfit, there are a few ways to style it to your liking. You can either wear a T-shirt and keep your button-up open, or you can close your button-up. Since we’re pairing the button-up with shorts, remember to roll up the sleeves.
Here are a few color combinations to try:
- White shorts, white T-shirt, blue button-up with sleeves rolled, and white sneakers.
- Olive shorts, short-sleeve white button-up, and brown penny loafers.
- Khaki shorts, white button-up with sleeves rolled, white sneakers.
Where to Shop
For tailored shorts, shop the casual Big & Tall at Berle (sizes 50-60). For button-up shirts to wear with your tailored shorts, Tommy Bahama has a great selection of both short-sleeve and long-sleeve button-ups.
Cuffed Chinos and the Bomber Jacket
If you need a good all-around outfit, consider picking up a few T-shirts and a few pairs of khakis or chinos. For your bomber jacket, black and olive are both classic colors.
How to Style It
It’s no secret that we love neutral colors. When you have a closet full of these colors, the possibilities are seemingly endless. If you’re wearing this outfit with sneakers, you may want to cuff your khakis. If you are wearing this outfit with boots, you can let them fall into the crease where the boot meets your ankle. Here are a few outfit combinations to get you started.
- Black khakis, white T-shirt, black bomber jacket, and black leather sneakers.
- Black khakis, black T-shirt, olive bomber jacket, and black leather sneakers.
- Khakis (original color), dark gray T-shirt, olive bomber jacket, and brown boots.
Where to Shop
Tailored Flat Front Trousers, the Oxford Button-Up & the Blazer
When you want a basic outfit for work, you can’t go wrong with tailored trousers, the Oxford button-up, and the blazer. To master this look, remember: your button-up and your trousers should neither be too baggy nor too tight.
How to Style It
The options for this look are endless when you have a good foundation of basic colors in your wardrobe. Here are a few combinations to try.
- Tan dress pants, white button-up, light gray blazer, and brown penny loafers.
- Gray dress pants, light blue button-up, navy blazer, and tan Oxford shoes.
- Black dress pants, light blue button-up, light gray blazer, and brown penny loafers.
Where to Shop
Get the Look at Berle
We hope this guide to Big & Tall fashion for men helps inspire you! Refreshing your wardrobe is always a great feeling. With your checklist at hand and a few outfits to try along the way, you’ll be looking your best in no time. Just remember these key takeaways:
- Ditch the baggy clothes and choose tailor-fitted looks.
- Choose clothing made with the right fabric: durable natural fabrics like denim, cotton, oxford cloth, and twill are heavy enough to drape well on the body but also light to create a sleek silhouette.
- Add structure to your looks with a variety of jackets.
If you’re ready to upgrade your wardrobe, our Big & Tall section caters to sizes 50 through 60. Although some stores may consider 40 in the Big & Tall category, sizes 40 through 48 can be found in our straight sizes. Complimentary hemming and cuffing are included with every purchase!
Just remember to have your measurements taken before having shorts or trousers hemmed. Ideally, shorts should fall just above the knees, and pants should hit right at the intersection between your ankle and the top of the shoe.