How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe for Men
Let’s face it; it’s tough to put together an outfit on short notice as a guy. How can you know when you’re choosing the right clothing or if you have the right stuff for an upcoming date or work meeting? There’s a solution to the stress that comes with getting dressed: a capsule wardrobe.
In a nutshell, a men’s capsule wardrobe is a “ready-to-go” wardrobe featuring multifunctional pieces that can be mixed and matched and still largely work no matter what. Today, let’s break down how to create a capsule wardrobe for men in detail. Or, if you’re ready to upgrade your look, shop the Berle tailored collection now!
4 Steps to Building a Capsule Wardrobe for Men
1. Focus on Classic Clothing
One of the core elements of any competent capsule wardrobe is an emphasis on classic clothing. Sure, trendy clothing articles and styles look great now, but a lot of that is driven by fickle public perception. There’s no telling what will look stylish 10 years from now, let alone 20.
In contrast, history serves as a sieve through which you can identify truly classic clothing pieces and styles. What looked great 50 years ago probably still looks great now because only the truly timeless styles and pieces have remained. To that end, your capsule wardrobe should include classic clothing articles and styles.
Examples include tailored trousers, double-breasted jackets, trench coats, suits, jeans, collared T-shirts and polo shirts, and so on.
2. Versatile Clothes Are Best
Another major element of a capsule wardrobe for men is versatility. For your capsule wardrobe to work as advertised, you need to be able to pick out a few different articles at random in your wardrobe, then have them all work together reasonably well.
Therefore, your capsule wardrobe should include versatile clothes that can fit in a variety of situations and with many different companion articles. Jeans are the quintessential example, as are tailored dress pants.
You can wear microfiber dress pants, for instance, with:
- Button-down dress shirts
- Polo shirts
- And more
Keep this philosophy in mind for all of the clothing you purchase for your new wardrobe. Versatility is king, so don’t pick out many (if any) clothing pieces that only serve you well in a few limited situations or that require you to pick up specific clothes or accessories to look like part of a complete outfit.
3. Choose Neutral Colors
Then there’s color: the third major element of a capsule wardrobe for men. Specifically, you should prioritize core neutral colors. This includes shades like gray, navy, white, black, olive, khaki, brown, and certain shades of dark green.
Why? Because these core colors go well with practically any article of clothing and can be worn in most seasons. You can wear gray even on a bright spring day the same way you can wear it on a dark winter evening. The same is true for khaki trousers or navy shirts.
By choosing clothes that only come in core colors, you ensure you never have to deal with or think about color mismatching or combinations. You’ll also never need to worry that your clothing isn’t dyed correctly for the occasion at hand.
Luckily, many of the best men’s clothing pieces already come in these core colors. Lightweight wool dress pants from Berle, for instance, come in many excellent shades.
4. Find Stylish Capsule Wardrobe Pieces
With all that said, what specific pieces constitute capsule wardrobe clothing articles? Let’s look at a few examples.
- Jeans are perfect choices for legwear. They are perfect for any occasion except for a semiformal or formal occasion, like a wedding or business meeting. But they will be great for a date, hanging out with friends, going to class, and everything in between
- Tailored trousers also won’t steer you wrong. Wear these for semiformal and formal occasions at work or in your social life
- Khakis are also great legwear for men’s capsule wardrobes
- Collared T-shirts and polo shirts are mainstay shirt choices for a reason. They're great for showcasing style and comfort and can fit in a workplace environment or a social space
- Suits. Have at least one good suit in a color like gray, black, or blue. This includes dress pants to match, a tailored jacket, and a good dress shirt
- Dark dress shoes, a pair of oxfords, and a few other shoe pairs should round out your footwear needs
- A few watches are great, too, as are a few ties for different outfits or different occasions. Accessories are a great option to add some flair to your capsule wardrobe since it will mostly consist of neutral colors.
Get the Look at Berle
Ultimately, putting together a capsule wardrobe is one of the best things a man can do for his style and wallet. With a capsule wardrobe, you’ll feel confident when putting together an outfit for an upcoming social occasion and you can rest assured that you look great whenever you walk into a restaurant or your workplace. Don’t forget to rely on Berle for all your tailored dress pants needs when picking out your trousers for your capsule wardrobe! Shop the tailored collection today.