The weather’s hot and the sun’s out, which means it’s shorts season. You know that much. But do you know what to wear with khaki shorts to avoid looking like everyone else? Khaki shorts are great for their versatility, but when everyone else is wearing them, it helps to know a few tips that will help you stand out. Here’s what you need to know.
Mix Up the Accessories
One of the best ways to make full use of khaki shorts is to think of them as something that “grounds” the whole outfit together. After all, if you’re wearing khaki shorts, you’ll almost always be occasion-appropriate.
That gives you freedom with some other accessories:
- Wear bold-colored shoes. Boat shoes are a popular option here. They often come in bold colors and patterns that include multiple colors. Because shorts often reveal so much skin, wearing a bold pair of shoes can help you stand apart.
- Give your watch some flair with a patterned watch band. Watch bands are cheap, easy to switch out, and can add versatility to your most ubiquitous accessory. As with the shoes, don’t be afraid to go for multi-color options including patterns like stripes.
- Try a canvas belt to pull together the outfit, especially if you plan on doing a tuck, half-tuck, or French tuck. The same principles apply here: a versatile pair of shorts gives you almost unlimited options when it comes to the belt design.
- What about socks? These days, the sockless look is preferred. However, if you do wear socks, make sure to be strategic about your choices here. White athletic socks are a big no-no when your ankles are exposed, giving you the “tourist” look.
Draw Contrast with Your Shirt
If you want to keep a minimal approach to your accessories, the next best way to stand out with khaki shorts is to try something interesting with your top. Here’s what you’ll need to know:
- Your best bets are polo shirts and button-downs. When paired with khaki shorts, they work extremely well. While these are great conservative options, keep in mind that if you want to stand out, you may have to draw some contrast. Browse some men’s fashion color palettes online if you need ideas and aren’t sure which colors go well with khaki. But generally speaking, khaki goes with everything—so don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Try a pattern. A patterned shirt—such as a preppy anchor pattern—can be a great way to make full use of the muting properties of khaki shorts.
- Go heavy on cool days. You can pair sweaters and sweatshirts with shorts on cooler days, no problem. Just make sure you check the weather for a sudden turn toward “sunny” if it’s still in the dog days of summer.
Lastly, remember that you can switch things up and turn these tips upside down.
Shop Berle Khaki Shorts
Browse our shorts here at Berle to find all sorts of fun, bold colors. Contrast those with solid colors in your shirts or even experiment with mixing patterns and color arrangements to find what works best for you!