What To Wear With Khaki Shorts
The weather’s hot and the sun’s out, which means it’s shorts season. You know that much. But do you know what to wear with khaki shorts to avoid looking like everyone else? Khaki shorts are great for their versatility, but when everyone else is wearing them, it helps to know a few tips that will help you stand out. Here’s what you need to know.
Mix Up the Accessories
One of the best ways to make full use of khaki shorts is to think of them as something that “grounds” the whole outfit together. After all, if you’re wearing khaki shorts, you’ll almost always be occasion-appropriate.
That gives you freedom with some other accessories:
- Wear bold-colored shoes. Boat shoes are a popular option here. They often come in bold colors and patterns that include multiple colors. Because shorts often reveal so much skin, wearing a bold pair of shoes can help you stand apart.
- Give your watch some flair with a patterned watch band. Watch bands are cheap, easy to switch out, and can add versatility to your most ubiquitous accessory. As with the shoes, don’t be afraid to go for multi-color options including patterns like stripes.
- Try a canvas belt to pull together the outfit, especially if you plan on doing a tuck, half-tuck, or French tuck. The same principles apply here: a versatile pair of shorts gives you almost unlimited options when it comes to the belt design.
- What about socks? These days, the sockless look is preferred. However, if you do wear socks, make sure to be strategic about your choices here. White athletic socks are a big no-no when your ankles are exposed, giving you the “tourist” look.
Draw Contrast with Your Shirt
If you want to keep a minimal approach to your accessories, the next best way to stand out with khaki shorts is to try something interesting with your top. Here’s what you’ll need to know:
- Your best bets are polo shirts and button-downs. When paired with khaki shorts, they work extremely well. While these are great conservative options, keep in mind that if you want to stand out, you may have to draw some contrast. Browse some men’s fashion color palettes online if you need ideas and aren’t sure which colors go well with khaki. But generally speaking, khaki goes with everything—so don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Try a pattern. A patterned shirt—such as a preppy anchor pattern—can be a great way to make full use of the muting properties of khaki shorts.
- Go heavy on cool days. You can pair sweaters and sweatshirts with shorts on cooler days, no problem. Just make sure you check the weather for a sudden turn toward “sunny” if it’s still in the dog days of summer.
Lastly, remember that you can switch things up and turn these tips upside down.
Pick the Right Khaki Shorts for You
We have a number of khaki short options here at Berle, but we’ve narrowed down three specific choices that are perfect for the smart summer look we mentioned:
Basic Khaki Flat Front Shorts
Choose either a light or dark khaki color and consider your shopping done. These khaki shorts are casual, sure, but they’re so versatile that they can match with just about anything you throw at them. That means if you’re on a budget, it’s hard to go wrong here.
Flat Front Walk Shorts In Charleston Brick
The light salmon color of Charleston Brick is perfect for summer—and for anyone who needs a splash of color in a wardrobe full of whites, navies, and khakis.
Patch Madras Shorts
Sometimes you don’t want just a splash of color—you want a full cannon-ball-in-the-swimming pool to provide an interesting contrast with the rest of your outfit. Doing this artfully is difficult; unless you’re a fan of tastefully assembled madras, like the piece you see here. It’s colorful enough to look sharp—but not so colorful that you’ll be fined for holding up traffic.
Which should you choose? That depends entirely upon you and your needs. You might go with the versatile option, or you might look for something a little more colorful. Or you might need an overhaul—in which case, we recommend picking all three.
Shop Berle Khaki Shorts
Browse our shorts here at Berle to find all sorts of fun, bold colors. Contrast those with solid colors in your shirts or even experiment with mixing patterns and color arrangements to find what works best for you!