Winter Layering Outfits for Men
Winter is here. Though the fashion options are endless, a lot of men think that their aesthetic choices are pretty limited, especially compared to the colorful collections they can wear in spring and summer. After all, won’t everyone just end up seeing the winter jacket you pick at the beginning of the day? Not necessarily. In fact, strategic layering is the best way to stay warm and look your best. Let’s break down some top winter layering outfits for men and some useful tips for styling your look.
If you’re looking for custom-tailored dress pants, shop the Tailored Trousers collection from Berle today! Complimentary hemming and free shipping are always included with your purchase.
Winter Layering – Why Is It Important?
Men should master the art of layering for two reasons:
- Layering keeps you looking slim, whereas opting for a single bulky coat makes you look thick, and not in a good way
- Layering keeps you warmer, which is a huge benefit if you like to stay social even when it’s cold outside
Overall, layering is superior both in a fashion-focused sense and in a practical sense for keeping warm. So, let’s explore how to layer smartly as a man.
What Do You Need to Layer?
The winter layering wardrobe for males is pretty straightforward. Let’s dive into some of the items you’ll need to layer an outfit:
- T-shirts are a mainstay throughout the year, even during the winter. T-shirts form the first layer of your outfit.
- Button-down shirts (i.e. flannel or wool shirts) are the next layer and serve as a secondary insulator above your T-shirt. Button downs are particularly great since you can unbutton them to allow for a little more ventilation.
- A knit sweater in a material like cashmere or merino wool is a good third layer. A sweater is ideal if you aren’t going to be wearing a jacket.
- A puffer jacket or vest could also be worn in lieu of a knit sweater.
- A sportscoat or leather jacket is another great alternative for a knit sweater, puffer jacket, or vest. They’re great for the later winter months when things are warming up but it’s still too chilly for spring attire.
- A topcoat or winter jacket can be worn on top of the other layers when you head outside in inclement weather or freezing temperatures.
Rules for Winter Layering
Want to know if your layering strategy or ensemble has gone too far? Follow the below tips to make sure your outfit comes together properly:
- Don’t wear more than three visible layers. A good example is a T-shirt, a sweater on top, and then a jacket to round everything out. This ensures each layer is visible. However, four layers can be worn in inclement weather.
- Each layer should work individually but complement the others. This allows you to strategically strip away your outermost or second outermost layer when you head indoors or become hot without ruining your whole aesthetic.
- Darker colors should be worn on the outside layers, if possible. For instance, it looks better to wear a lighter colored shirt or sweater with a darker jacket on top.
How Many Layers is Enough?
As a man with a mind for fashion, your wardrobe should look great but also be practical. To that end, be sure not to wear too many layers, as you’ll look unnecessarily puffy or rounded for no reason. Here’s how to decide how many layers to wear:
- If it’s just a bit chilly outside, two layers are usually fine. You can add a winter coat for heading home after dark.
- If it’s cold outside, a three-layer combo consisting of a T-shirt or button-down shirt, a sweater, and a winter coat or jacket will seal the deal nicely. You’ll look classy, confident, and prepared to stand outside while waiting for your favorite bar to open.
- If temperatures are freezing, it’s time to go for the rare four-layer look. Consider combining a T-shirt, a button-down shirt, a down feather puffer, and a topcoat or winter jacket. That’ll keep you toasty!
Shop Tailored Trousers from Berle
We hope these winter layering outfits for men keep you warm and looking stylish during the cold months. Now, it’s time to put complete your look with tailored trousers from Berle. Shop any of our exclusive trouser collections, and enjoy complimentary hemming and free shipping on every order. With more than 70 years in the manufacturing industry, our team has perfected the art of delivering the best pair of trousers available today. Your upgraded wardrobe awaits!