The “Southern Gentleman” style is classic in a number of ways. It’s quintessentially American, it’s versatile, and it’s a great way to dress for a wide range of events. That’s why so many people these days are flocking to this look. But how can you pull it off in an authentic way? And which clothing items will help you achieve the southern gentleman look without breaking the bank? Here’s your Southern Gentleman clothing guide.
Tips For Building a “Southern Gentleman” Wardrobe
First things first: what exactly is the southern gentleman look? And how can you define it for yourself? Here’s what you’ll need to know:
- Southern gentleman means raising the bar. It’s hard to pull off the southern gentleman style in a T-shirt and jeans. Instead, this look is about taking each event seriously. It includes button downs, ties, and khakis. That’s the “gentleman” part of this look—the inherent respect that you show when you dress your best, from high-quality clothes to taking the time to make sure they fit properly.
- Attention to details. The southern gentleman look is about more than slapping on a pair of khakis and calling it a day. It’s also about the details, including a willingness to try new patterns or new colors. It’s about minimalist attention to detail such as your choice of watch or accessory. Although the look isn’t necessary complicated, that only makes each detail count that much more.
With the above in mind, let’s take a look at the specific pieces of clothing that can help you dress in the southern gentleman style.
Southern Gentleman Clothing
You’ve got an idea about the look—but how do you put it together? There is a wide variety of clothing available here at Berle to help you pull of this style. Here are a few of our favorite suggestions:
Seersucker Pants, Flat Front
Few fabric styles evoke the “southern gentleman” theme like seersucker. These 100% cotton pants are ideal for warm weather climates—as you have in the south—but can be adapted for a range of needs. They’re also great for pairing with contrasting accessory elements such as dark brown belts and watch straps.
Charleston Khakis In Stretch Twill
Yes, this look is about more than just a good pair of khakis—but that doesn’t mean you can skip what might be the most essential piece! These khakis are simple, elegant, comfortable, and come in a range of unique colors that will help you differentiate your style from what everyone else is wearing.
The southern gentleman look starts with a foundation of great trousers—but you can continue to build on it with skinny ties, blazers, button-downs, and a wide range of other items.
The Rules of Gentlemanly Shorts
Okay, okay, there’s not actual rule-book when it comes to this stuff. But there are plenty of unwritten rules when it comes to wearing shorts—and if you want to look good, you’d better sure you start sticking to them:
- Never wear socks with sandals. It’s tempting. It’s comfortable. It goes naturally with shorts. But today’s sock-less look is in—and it’s probably here to stay. If you’re wearing sandals, ditch the socks.
- Avoid cargo shorts when possible. There’s nothing wrong with a little extra storage space in your shorts—heck, it’s handy. But since you’re not on a camping trip near the lake, it’s fair to say that you don’t need an extra pocket for waterproof matches and a giant floating keychain.
- Keep it simple. You don’t need to do a million things to dress up a pair of shorts. Just wear them and pair them smartly with a classic top. The only accessories you really need include a watch, a belt, and maybe a bracelet. That’s all.
How to Pick Out your Next Pair of Shorts
Now that you know what not to do, it’s time to emphasize what to do. Specifically, take a look at these shorts:
This is the versatile option you should choose if you want to get the most possible mileage out of your shorts. Because they’re khaki-colored, they’ll match with just about anything in your wardrobe—and we do mean anything. The whole color spectrum is at your disposal when it comes to your shirt and shoes, including both white and black.
If you want a pair of shorts that stands out from the crowd a little without venturing too far into “overly bright and colorful”, this is it. These shorts are simple, and the salmon Charleston Brick color is perfect for matching with blues, whites, darks, you name it.
Keep these rules in mind and try to add a pair of shorts to your wardrobe that doesn’t only fit, but that you’ll actually wear on a regular basis. After all, the “southern gentleman” look is ultimately about good habits. Even when it comes to shorts.
Find More Great Pieces At Berle
Brose the full range of trousers available here at Berle to create a wardrobe that any southern gentleman would be proud to own.